A baby shower is a form of celebration that aims to welcome the newest member in the family. Although baby showers were originally intended only for first-borns, modern practices now allow baby shower parties for every baby that comes in the family.A baby shower is a form of celebration that aims to welcome the newest member in the family. Although baby showers were originally intended only for first-borns, modern practices now allow baby shower parties for every baby that comes in the family.
Baby showers are usually organized and arranged by the relatives and close friends of the parents-to-be. They are a good way to help parents get started with the things that they need for the baby. Note, however, that there are some cultures and religious beliefs that do not consider it proper and that it is considered bad luck to have a party and bring baby things in the house before the baby is born.
Over the years, baby showers have evolved into various names, such as the following:
· “Daddy’s shower” – a men-only party for dads-to-be
· “Grandma’s shower” – a party where guests bring baby items (such as collapsible cribs and changing pads) that grandparents can keep at their house.
· “Diaper showers” or “baby sprinkles” – a small-scale party that is usually held for succeeding children, and ideal for parents who do not need as many items (or gifts).
It is common for a baby shower to have a theme, to which the entire party centers on. Baby shower essentials typically include games, presents, and food and a cake!
A party is not complete without a cake, and this also applies to baby showers.
Cute Baby Shower Cakes for Boys & Girls
How to prepare Baby Shower Cake?
Cakes are one of the great things about baby showers, and they can be made using various basic techniques, such as the following:
1. All-in-together – this is done by placing the dry ingredients in a food processor (together with the shortening) before gradually adding the liquid ingredients.
2. Creaming method – this is done by ‘creaming’ butter and sugar together before gradually adding the rest of the ingredients.
3. Rubbing method – this is done by ‘rubbing’ the butter into the dry ingredients before adding the liquid ones.
4. Melt-and-mix – this is done by are first mixing the dry ingredients together, adding the melted butter and the other liquid ingredients afterwards to complete the cake.
5. Sponge-making – this is done by whipping the eggs and sugar into a froth, with the flour carefully mixed in. Making a light sponge requires great skill, as it does not use any raising agent or fat.
Finished cakes are usually enhanced with the use of frosting (icing) or toppings (such as sprinkles.
There are different varieties of baby shower cakes to choose from. Some of them are listed below:
· Angelfood cake· Butter cake· Butterfly cake· Carrot cake· Cheesecake· Chocolate cake· Chiffon cake· Cupcake· Devil’s food cake· Fruit cake· Gingerbread· Ice cream cake· Mooncake· Pineapple upside down cake· Pound cake· Spice cake· Sponge cake
Aside from the cake varieties above, there are also a lot of baby shower cake ideas that can make a baby shower celebration more special:
1. Belly Cake. One great idea is to design a baby shower cake and make it look like a pregnant belly. This can be done by placing a circular cake in front of a rectangular cake and frosting them together to resemble that of a pregnant belly.
2. Toy Blocks Cake. Another idea is to design a baby shower cake and make it look like children’s toy blocks (either one large block or 3 to 4 smaller blocks). Toy block cakes can be further enhanced by surrounding them with candies or little toy cars.
Of course, you can also experiment and try to come up with creative ideas of your own. Remember that the ‘goal’ is not only to make a yummy dessert, but also a great centerpiece that will stand out in the memories of the parents-to-be.
How to prepare Baby Shower Cake?
Baby showers are usually a light hearted and fun way to congratulate the soon-to-be mom and give a gift to the baby. The cake should make a statement about the baby and what you wish for the family.
There are several different types of icing to use on this type of cake.
1 pound sweet unsalted butter
1 pound icing fondant
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 pounds 3 cups
Use a flat beater or mixer to cream the butter. Add fondant gradually while beating.
Time – about 12 minutes
Cream Cheese Icing
10 oz of cream cheese
14 oz of icing fondant
7 ounces of shortening
2 pounds 3 cups
With a flat beater, beat cream cheese while adding icing fondant a little at a time.
Mix until smooth, add shortening, mix all together until smooth and light.
Time 10 to 12 minutes.
Remember that your cake decoration for a baby shower will be the centerpiece for the baby shower. There are plenty of places to get ideas for making wonderful baby shower cakes on the internet, or you may want to make up your own design. In any case you can use one of these great icing recipes.
3 Tblsp. Meringue Powder
1/2 cup water
3 cups of Icing Sugar
1 cup Sweet Butter
1 cup shortening
Vanilla to taste.
Place water, meringue powder, and sugar in a bowl.
Beat with a beater until mixture makes peaks (7 to 10 minutes)
Add soft butter, shortening, and vanilla
Whip until fluffy and all lumps are gone
Flavoring your buttercream icing.
Amounts are based on flavoring one cup of icing.
2 Tbsp Hazelnut paste (melt over low heat)
1/2 tsp instant coffee dissolved in 1/2 tsp water.
2 Tbsp Semi-Sweet chocolate-melted
Cocoa and Oil
Mix 3 Tbsp cocoa powder and 2 Tbsp veg oil into a paste.
Lorran Oils- 10 to 12 drops
Vanilla- 8 drops
Lemon Flavor- 6 drops lemon oil and 2 Tbsp Lemon Butter
Of course, you can use these recipes on any cake decorating design. The baby shower cake is usually a smaller cake with whimsical or heartwarming decorations in a baby theme. In times past, the decorations for baby shower cakes were limited, now they can be found everywhere. Craft stores usually have a variety of ready-made cake decorations for your baby shower cake.
Whether you are a pro or a novice it is fun to do a baby shower cake decorating project. You can choose to buy the decorations, or make your own with icing. You can use your skills and imagination to make your baby shower cake outstanding. You will be elated when everyone compliments you on the beautiful baby shower cake.