Hello readers. Welcome to 123greetingsquotes.com. This year World Habitat Day will take place on 6 October 2014. In Resolution 40/202 of 17 December 1985, the UN General Assembly designated the first Monday of October of every year as World Habitat Day. First celebrated in 1986, the day is now in its 28th year.
World Habitat Day 2014 Theme: Voices from Slums
“giving voice to people who have lived or live in slums or other vulnerable urban contexts.”
World Habitat Day 2014 logo:
What is world habitat day about?
It is a global awareness day which was created by the United Nations (UN) to reflect on the state of our towns and cities and everyone’s right to adequate shelter. The day is also about reminding each of us of our responsibility for the future of our own habitats. UN want to remind us of the importance of our habitats throughout the world which provide homes for people of all cultures, all ages, both rich and poor.
The World Habitat Day 2014 campaign: 🙂
This year, the United Nations chose the theme ‘Voices from Slums’. The World Habitat Day 2014 campaign aims to recognize life in slums and give a voice to slum dwellers for improving quality of living conditions in existing slums by:
- raising awareness of living conditions in slums;
- developing processes and tools in defense of the historical memory of the people who have lived and live in the slums;
- demonstrating, through real stories, to decision makers in the urban arena that slum upgrading programmes can achieve better life conditions for slum dwellers, and greater economic and social impacts;
- sharing experiences on slum upgrading among cities and urban areas worldwide;
- contributing to a policy dialogue that focuses on the broad range of issues related to the integration of the life in the slum into the city;
- identifying policy formulation and capacity development issues in which the UN system, in particular UN-Habitat, can offer significant contributions;
- identifying key stakeholders in slum upgrading and adequate housing and actively engaging them in further discussions;
World Habitat Day 2014 Celebration:
There are lots of ways to get involved with this year’s World Habitat Day.
You could organise some popular theatre to raise awareness in a fun way, or use the day to celebrate improvements in your area.
Fundraising events like football matches and musical performances are more great ways to raise money, have fun, and donate your proceeds to poor and slum communities around the world.
You can find out about lots of other ideas and ways to get involved on the official World Habitat Day website.
You can also read about previous events and learn about this great celebration created by the United Nations.
World Habitat Day History:
The UN’s World Habitat Day was first celebrated in 1986 with the theme “Shelter is My Right”. Nairobi was allocated as the host city for the observance that year. This annual event is held on the first Monday of October with a new theme each year. Previous themes included: “Shelter for the Homeless” (1987); “Our Neighbourhood” (1995); “Future Cities” (1997); “Safer Cities” (1998); “Women in Urban Governance” (2000); “Cities without Slums” (2001) and “Water and Sanitation for Cities” (2003).
An important highlight of the day is the “Habitat Scroll of Honour” award, which was launched by the United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UNHSP) in 1989. It is believed to be the world’s most prestigious human settlements award and aims to acknowledge initiatives that make outstanding contributions in areas such as shelter provision, highlighting the plight of the homeless, leadership in post conflict reconstruction, and developing and improving the human settlements and the quality of urban life.